Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Biking Makes People Smile


After we finished our first ride on the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis, my wife turns to me and says, "biking makes people smile." We saw lots of folks from all walks biking the Greenway tonight. We saw some things we liked (like the light reflecting off the downtown buildings as we stood on the bridge crossing over the light-rail tracks, and the soft glow of the sun, about-to-set, on our boys faces). And we saw some things we didn't like (like the dude in drag showing off his bra as he biked). But still, like all of those we observed around us, we smiled.

Recently, we have been looking at our bike map, picking out trails around town that we haven't seen. I am surprised it took so long for me to get to the Greenway. It is on the other side of Minneapolis from us (we live in Nordeast), and I have heard so many stories of people throwing things down on cyclists below, which has made me steer clear. But I'm glad Sarah suggested it for tonight. It was busy with lots of riders, full spandex team kit types, to kids on BMX bikes, Nice Rides, and the occasional Burley (including us). They have done some fantastic things to revitalize the old rail-bed... Enough so that I couldn't count the number of new condo buildings going up next to it. I took some pictures with my iPhone to post. We will definitely be going back.




























































1 comment:

  1. Wow, MN is SO bike-friendly: I miss it! Looks fun!!!

    ReplyDelete