Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Horseshoe

I found a large horseshoe on the road today while biking to work. It was raining quite a bit, and I cruised on by. (Once I am going, I don't usually stop for anything - am even tempted at times to leave my own water bottle behind if it falls when I am in a good rhythm).

But needing a little luck in my life right now, I decided to go back for it after a few strides. It had obviously come off a draft horse, and must have weighed as much as my u-lock, perhaps as much as my bike frame. It is a bit unusual to find a horseshoe in the middle of the city. In fact, I don't know that I have ever found one before (does it show that I spend little time in the country?). I was not too far from the State Fairgrounds, and sometimes have to dodge horse trailers when they have shows at the barns, which must explain where it came from.

I was on my way to a morning meeting at a health clinic with a dry suit and tie packed in my messenger bag. So instead of opening my bag to the wet, I looped it through one of the fastener straps and expected to hear the heavy *klink* as it fell of the back when I started riding again.

It was still with me when I got to the meeting, changed, met. Then changed back again and got drenched on my way to Downtown. It was still with me when I got to the office, so I hung it over my doorway.

It wasn't raining much and I didn't have any close encounters with cars on my way home.
My luck must already be changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment