Friday, November 8, 2013

Welcome to Winter



I must be in serious denial about the weather change, given that I am still riding racing slicks on ice. We had our first snow of the season on Tuesday night. It was Election Day and I biked to the polls to vote before the snow started falling. I looked out the window Wednesday morning, relieved to see we hadn't got the 4 inches that were expected. My winter bike isn't ready, the roads liked pretty good, so I decided to give it a go on my road bike. Where the cars were driving, the roads had warmed up enough so that they were passable. Part of my ride was on a separated bike path, and that's where it got dicey, especially near the cemetery I pass every day. I was sliding everywhere and had to ride with one foot down to steady myself. I just about turned back to go home and take my car to work but when I rejoined the main road it was fine again. Cold at 27 degrees, but steady rolling. 


I had been dreading the change if weather. It has been cold, but the first snow has psychological effects. Seems to me our last snow was in May sometime... So to have it snow. November 5 makes for a short summer season. As bummed as I think I have been just dreading it, there have been times out there on my bike in the cold when I have really enjoyed it. Today was one of those days. 30 again in he morning, but ice patches small and far enough between to easily avoid them. Riding, I felt the same stillness that I find cross country skiing at zero degrees. Then, 43 and dry on the way home was excellent! I still hope the snow accumulation stays down and that I can ride the roadie a bit deeper into November/December. We'll see. I had better get the other steed ready! 






No comments:

Post a Comment